background

Friday, January 20, 2012

4 weeks!

My goodness!! How is it that Gracie is already 4 weeks old?!! Time is flashing before my eyes!! Here is a quick update on life at our house lately! It is CRAZY!! I am pretty sure all my posts since Gracie has been born have said that... but seriously! We are all still adjusting to life as a family of 4! It is a new ball game for sure! But even in the midst of all the crazy... I could not be happier! What a blessing our two girls have been for Sam and me! We are realizing more everyday how much we need God's grace and strength in our lives! Because without it Sam and I would have already given up by now! Thankfully the Lord knows just how much we can handle and his grace is new every day! With that being said....
Gracie is just as sweet as she can be! She is being the typical infant... eating, sleeping and pooping ALOT! =) She sleeps most of the day... ahhh the life of an infant!! I would give anything for a little more sleep these days! But we love it when she is awake and we get to see her sweet eyes! No real smiles yet... but I am anxiously awaiting for that sweet, toothless grin!

Like I said... this girl loves to sleep! She is a great sleeper so far (thank you baby wise)!! Besides her routine feedings during the night, she sleeps great in between! PTL! We even had 6 hour stretch the other night of sleep and can I tell you how wonderful I felt when I woke up and realized I had gotten a good 5.5 hours of uninterrupted sleep!!! Its amazing what that will do for you! On the other hand... Virginia Kate has had quite the adjustment to her sister's arrival. Bless her heart. As much as VK loves her sister... the arrival of Gracie has sent VK for a tail spin...well all of us really! Virginia Kate has always been a WONDERFUL sleeper, but since the arrival of her sister she decided to stop napping and sleeping through the night!!! HELP!! Not only that but she seems very worried all the time and has a new worried look that she sports most of the day. She has become SUPER clingy to me and when I am nursing Gracie, she will do anything she can to distract me and/or gets into things she knows she is not supposed to because she knows I can't do anything about it while I am feeding G! I feel like I have slightly lost my first born! But, I was talking to a friend the other day at Bible study, and she told me that her oldest did the exact same thing when his brother was born. She said it took a good 3 months for everyone to adjust to the new addition and that after about 3 months she felt like she finally had her older son back to normal! What encouraging words those were for me!! The Lord knew I needed to hear that!  I will say, every day gets a little easier and VK is starting to get a little better about her naps and sleeping through the night again. But that has probably been the hardest adjustment for all of us! Sam has been wonderful with Virginia Kate through all of this. He is typically the one who gets up with her in the night and the morning since I am still getting up to feed Gracie in the middle of the night. I don't know what I would have done without him and his selfless help! But that is the update on VK! If you think about it, please pray for her especially right now! 
As you can see from the pic below, Virginia Kate really does love Gracie... just having a hard time sharing mama and dada's attention with her! I know it will get better...change is never easy! But we are learning so much and probably the most important thing I have learned through all of this is that I can't do it on my own accord. Without the Lord's daily grace and strength in my life I am nothing!! 
I love these two girls! 

3 comments:

  1. Sweet friend...it does get easier. I promise! Before you know it your 2 girls will be best friends and thicker than thieves. That's what we say about the boys. VK will come back...it just takes a little bit of time. I will pray for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are going through the exact same thing with our two boys! Arden, who was a great sleeper, started getting up multiple times a night once his brother was born. Porter is 3 months now and Arden is finally starting to gradually sleep through the night again and stay in his bed, he's not completely there yet, but there's progress....it's killer, but it does get better, I promise! Hang in there! Your girls are precious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sheley - I don't know if you remember me or not, but we're mutual friends with Chris B. We just moved in not too far from you, so I guess we are practically neighbors, too. We are about to welcome baby #5, and I just wanted to give you a word of encouragement and let you know it will get back to a state that doesn't seem so hectic. It might be the "normal" you are accustom to, but it'll be a good place! Our 1st was 21 months old when #2 was born. I found if I let her do stuff to help me and help her baby dolls that she wasn't constantly trying to get my attention (get mommy a burp cloth, throw away baby's diaper, etc...) She also regressed pretty badly the first month. Wanted a paci again, wanted a bottle again, wanted to be swaddled. A wise friend told me not to discourage it, but to make a hole in the paci, so it wouldn't have the "chewy" factor. Give her a bottle with the smallest hole, so it would be super hard to suck thick milk out of, and swaddle her tight so she can't wiggle! She was so excited I obliged to all her requests, but it didn't take long for her to realize she hated it (thankfully for us!!!) She just wanted attention and when she realized she could be help and still get our love and praise, she gravitated towards that. Hang in there! These are sweet times! Once the weather gets warmer, if you need a walking buddy, let me know! I'm hoping to start back to running once the new baby gets here and I get the ok from the Dr.

    Blessings,
    Allyson

    ReplyDelete